Updated: Jun 15
4 Weeks: Preparing for the move
· Sell, trash, or donate: After creating your moving checklist, the next stage is to purge your home clean. Get rid of items that may have sentimental value but are not practical and needed in your new home. We recommend doing this room after room. Whatever you separate from your other properties, sell, or donate or trash them. Places to Donate in Singapore
· Create a folder of moving items: You will be taking pictures of every box you pack alongside receipts and records related to your move. We recommend having that stored on online storage such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
· Stop mail: Schedule a date to stop receiving mail and deliveries and file for a change of address.
· Get your moving quotes: Now, you need to assess different international moving quotes to help you commit to the right company. Ensure to research their reputation online and receive an in-house estimate if you own a larger home. Don’t forget to check their licensing to understand the rules and regulations they follow in the industry. Also, read all documents and contracts before you sign them.
· Moving yourself: If you decide to handle your moving on your own, now is the time to rent a truck service or ask for a large vehicle from your friends and family. Do note that renting can save you money, but if you want your belongings protected, you should hire a professional moving company.
· Moving day needs: If you are moving into an apartment, you need to find out if there are any requirements on your moving day.
2 – 3 weeks:
Start Packing if you are doing it by your self or choose to pre-pack some items before the movers arrive. If you choose to move with SIR Move, you will have complimentary access to MOVEPREP - THE ART OF MOVING
Packing your entire home should take about 3 weeks to complete. The best way to do this is to schedule a few hours every day and use your checklist to track your progress.
· Gather packing materials: Get your packing supplies online or from any other outlet nearest to you. These materials range from multiple-sized boxes to packing cubes.
· Pack non-essential items first: There’s no need to pack up and unpack again. Begin with rooms you don’t use, such as the storage rooms, garage, and closets. Pack your kitchen last.
· Start creating your non-essentials bag: it should hold financial, birth certificates, passports, legal and medical documents in one place right now
· Label boxes: Include a clear description of items within each box and the location they should be sent to in the new home. That way, your professional movers will have your items paced in their correct rooms when you arrive at the new house.
· Pack by room: this helps you avoid confusion and makes it even easier to label boxes correctly.
· Contact your utility provider: This includes your cable, electricity, and internet providers. You need to schedule appointments for turning off your current home and installations in the new one.
· Fragile items: Be sure to wrap and protect your fragile items with packing paper and dish pack boxes. Also, mark moving boxes that are fragile with alarming colors so your movers can proceed with caution. Don’t also forget to pack your boxes per the weight of your items. Lighter items should go into larger boxes and heavier items into smaller ones.
· Handle the move of your valuables: It’s essential to pack and move your valuables and personal items. This is to ensure that such items reach your new home safely.
· Create an inventory sheet of your valuables; Make an inventory sheet of your valuables before they are loaded into the moving truck. You can also attach photos of the contents of every box as visual evidence if you ever need to claim a lost item.
· Pet moving: If you have pets, start finding a pet moving company alongside pet boarding facilities.
1 Week: Refining your move
· Pack the kitchen: Ensure to start with the least used items in the kitchen. However, the key to packing your kitchen is maintaining organization and using correct supplies to keep your glassware and dishes from breaking.
· Unplug & Empty: Unplug your freezer, fridge, grills, lawnmowers, snowblowers and empty them. You need to consume all wet food as they can get spoil in the moving truck. Also, ensure that your refrigerators are as dry as possible.
· Pack bedding and clothes: You can move dressers with clothes in them if your dresser is sturdy and jammed packed.
· Clean your current home: Once you are done packing, you need to clean up your home. You shouldn’t only clean but disinfect using EPA-registered products.
No matter how careful and organized you are before the move, it is easy to overlook a few things here and there. Therefore, once your movers have gone, check each room for anything you may have left behind. Be sure to check hiding spots such as medicine cabinets, dishwashers, attic, and the drawer beneath the oven.
When you get to your new place, you will also need to clean and disinfect. We equally recommend taking a walk around your new building to get to know every aspect especially critical areas like your gas and water connections.
Finally, we’ve outlined the most important things you must do 30 days before moving day. Although there are other smaller activities in-between, this list will help you maintain focus and move comfortably.
About SIR MOVE
Established in Singapore in and Malaysia since 2006, SIR Move Services is a Singapore/British brand and it is a moving company that continues to build a business based on integrity and trust. With a firm belief that 110% attention to the technicalities involved in moving is an expected pre-requisite, it is these strong building blocks that have served as a foundation for their mission which is, to ensure that the delivery of their services comes with consistent quality of exceptional standards at every level and in every move. SIR provides Complete Move Solutions for International, Commercial and Domestic Relocations inclusive of storage and insurance. We move pets too. Moove My Box (MMB) is the newest addition to our suite of services allowing customers to ship small shipments faster. Similar to Air Express Delivery with the addition of packing and collection services. SIR Move is a qualified FIDI/FAIM Quality Mover.
SIR Move Services
Call 65 65347345
For more information on SMAD
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Linkedin